Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Trash to Treasures...Faux Antique Shelf

I don't know about you, but I LOVE the new Faux Antique looking furniture that seems to be every where now. But with every new fade, there is usually a pretty high price tag that goes with it. Little did I know it was so easy to do yourself, with very little supplies! I love to go to garage sales, you can find some pretty nice stuff for really cheap. My mom found this shelf for only $3!
The supplies I used; Sand paper and American Accents Distressed Ivory Kit, I picked it up at my local hardware store for $14.99
Step 1: Sanded it down to prep it for an Antique Faux finish look
Step 2: Painted it an off white color that comes in the kit
Step 3: Distress with sand paper. The kit does come with a sanding block, but I found that it didn't give me the look I wanted, so I used fine and medium sand paper. Remember if you don't like it you can simply paper over it and start again! Just make sure that the wood shows through.
I also made sure to dent up the knobs, to complete the Faux Antique look!
Make sure to get all the corners and edge really well. I distressed these areas more, since if it was antique these would have more wear.
Once you have finished distressing the piece you will apply the stain that comes with the kit. You will have to work quickly! That's why I am missing pictures to this step. Follow the directions that are in the kit and work in a small area at a time. Once I finished this, I applied a spray clear coat. And finished! Again this was my first time doing this so it was another learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment